By Wade Kojo Williams, Sr.
KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent — After a late start of about an hour due to heavy rain showers at the Arnos Vale Sports Complex, the large crowd on hand was treated to an evening of Star Power — showcasing 12 contestants from the various electoral constituencies here.
Winning the coveted title was Leeonney Bentick, Miss South Central Windward, sponsored by Pizza Hut.
The other winners were:
- First Runner Up: Karla Gellizeau, Miss West Kingstown, sponsored by Kendra’s Aluminium;
- Second Runner Up: Shackel Bobb, Miss Marriaqua, sponsored by The Beauty Shack; and,
- Third Runner Up: Solange Fernandez, Miss South Windward, sponsored by Island Essentials.
In other results:
- People’s Choice: Solange Fernandez
- Miss Photogenic: Shackel Bobb
- Miss Congeniality: Joleen Cato
- Miss Sportswear: Leeonney Bentick
- Best Talent: Leeonney Bentick
- Best Eveningwear: Leeonney Bentick
- Best Interview: Karla Gellizeau
The beautiful, talented, and intelligent Vincy women appeared in sportswear and eveningwear. They also made a talent presentation, as they vied for the coveted Miss Unity Youth 2012.
The Pageant contestants were interviewed during the Eveningwear segment. The show was interspersed with cultural performances.
Host for the Pageant was “Candy Man” and running commentary was carried on Star FM Radio by a team headed by popular radio personality Anthony “A.D.” Dennie.
Miss Unity Youth is an annual pageant organised by the Youth Arm of the ruling Unity Labour Party.
This year’s contestants were:
- Miss Central Kingstown Eltia Wynne
- Miss North Leeward Freikesha Douglas
- Miss North Windward Juleen Cato
- Miss West Kingstown Karla Gellizeau
- Miss Central Leeward Keinesha Browne
- Miss West St. George Kimesha Endeavour
- Miss South Leeward Kufanya Woodley
- Miss East Kingstown Lauren Ash
- Miss South Central Windward Leeonney Bentick
- Miss East St. George Mishleen John
- Miss Marriaqua Shakel Bobb
- Miss South Windward Solange Fernandez