SVG

Hot97 issues statement on Jah Cure concert

Jamaican reggea artiste Jah Cure (Internet photo).

KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent – Local entertainment radio station Hot97 has distanced itself from the “Irresistible Temptations” concert at which Jamaican artiste Jah Cure, who was advertised to headline the event, failed to perform Saturday night.

“… we take this opportunity to inform you, our valued listener, that the Jah Cure concert held last night was a production of Matrix Entertainment and not Hot97,” the station said in a statement Sunday afternoon.

Thousands of Vincentians, having paid as much as EC$50 to see Jah Cure, whose real name is, Siccature Alcock, left the Victoria Park disappointed and irate early Sunday morning as the artiste failed to perform although he was in St. Vincent.

“Promoter failed to meet his contractual obligations so I could not perform. Sorry St. Vincent, I shall return ☹ I’m super disappointed,” the artiste wrote in a tweet around 5:40 a.m. Sunday.

Hot97, in its statement, said that the station was “booked to provide the radio advertising for the event.

“As is our procedure with major events we undertake a number [of] checks to verify that the headline artists have been booked prior to commencing radio promotion. This was done and it was verified that Jah Cure and his

band were booked by Matrix Entertainment and would be in St. Vincent for the 10th March event,” the station said.

According to the statement, everything seemed on track with Jah Cure calling into the station a number of times in the week leading up to the show and even making a live appearance in their studios for approximately 45 minutes on Saturday morning.

“While there was an unexplained delay in the setup of Victoria Park, by 2 p.m. on the day of the show everything had been resolved and seemed to be on schedule for the event later that evening,” the statement continued.

“Like everybody else at the event we at Hot97 were surprised by the none appearance of Jah Cure and his band in Victoria Park which was

later explained by police sources as being due to the failure of Matrix Entertainment to meet his financial obligations to Jah Cure.”

Hot97 said that like all patrons, it was “disappointed with the turn of events” and up to the time of this press release shortly after 1 p.m. Sunday was “unable to ascertain how the promoter intends to compensate patrons of the event,” adding that it would keep listeners up-to-“with any new developments pertaining to this event”.

Jah Cure, in second tweet Sunday morning, said: “St. Vincent I’m sorry for every thing that happened tonight due to the lack of organization on the part of the promoters who have been giving nothing but excuses! I look forward to returning to deliver great music in a show by a legitimate promoter some time soon. Jah live!”

Follow our Feed, Follow on Facebook, Follow on Twitter

Advertisements

Discussion

4 thoughts on “Hot97 issues statement on Jah Cure concert

  1. Excuses! Excuses and more excuses is all I hear since my arrival here in SVG. One radio station was advertising the show and told listeners there was no truth to a cancellation gossip. Now it appears that a radio station (probably the same one) is now washing its hands from the issue.
    Patrons should get together and see an honest lawyer, to bring a class action case against the promoters. The lawyer can be paid from the settlement of the case.

    Posted by Vere | March 11, 2012, 17:34
  2. In another country, a RIOT may have ensued. Put a ban on all these Jamaican artistes…Vincyland is becoming little Kingston…we need to invest more in our local artistes and cultural art form…phuck all these Jamaican artistes and fly-by-night promoters who are treating us with utter contempt. We must demand better, we deserve better in Vincyland.

    Posted by Saadiss | March 11, 2012, 19:19
  3. Saadiss you dont know what you speak about. Why should we put a ban on the Jamaican Artiste if the guys show up to work and but cant get paid to perform prior to the show which is part of the initial agreement. Some years ago Barrignton Levy came to St. Vincent and sang his heart out only to be told he cant get paid. He was even on stage singing “Im singing without my pay”. Vincentian artiste are also booked for shows which they never show up for as well so i dont get your point.

    But to fix this issue, i think more regulations should be put in place in regards to who can operate as an promoter. The Bureau of Standards may also get involve here to try and streamline the process.

    Posted by John | March 12, 2012, 10:29
  4. Pretty good idea John. The public must be protected.

    Posted by Vere | March 12, 2012, 21:42

I-Witness News’ tweets

Archives

%d bloggers like this: